Thursday, December 4, 2008

On the subject of violence...

I have decided the graphic novel (title pending chapter 1's completion) will have violence where necessary to the story, for example -the opening scene is a gun battle on the streets of a "NYC inspired" city between rival gangs in car. Bullets flying, car crashes, people screaming and taking cover. I have decided however, there is a point that I feel is over the top. I decided this last night while watching the 2008 offering "Rambo".
Now before anyone hints at censorship, or suggestion of it. Before anyone decries I am old and am outgrowing violence- please remember who you are talking about. I love violence if it is a necissary part of a story. Not every story toldd can be hugs and handshakes. There are many times in life that violence is a direct result of decisions made, or for that matter desicions left un-made.
Now for those of you have not seen this movie I will tell you I spent much of my time watching this wondering if it is steroids or plastic surgery that has made Sylvester look the way he does in the movie. A 62 year old Sly Stallone dusted off his red headband and m-16 to take part in this blood bath. He is huge even compared to his former self. (See picture below.) He looks like a giant version of himself.
Now don't get me wrong I am a fan of explosions, bullets flying, people flying, people diving over stuff whilst shooting guns and screaming, blood and explosions (yes, I am aware I wrote explosions twice.) But this movie takes it to the extreme in two ways. Ok, let's start with the high body count- at 93 minutes it is the shortest of all 4 movies and far surpasses the rest. When released Rambo 3 was called the most violent film of all time*, but the new movie destroys the record. I mean the violence is pretty much contained in the second 2/3rds of the movie so it really is like 236 kills packed into an hour. The first three movies have a grand total of approximately 169 dead. That is a pretty high death toll, seeing that in the nightmare on elm street movies doesnt even come close to those numbers. niether does Jason Vorhees in the Friday the 13th movies. (as a side note both of those series are far beyond 4 movies and still they arent close to these numbers)
Secondly, the gore isn't silly because of suffering it becomes silly becuase of the sheer amount of it. There are so many explosions causing body parts to be thrown freely in this movie, you begin to see dismembered limbs bouncing off of other dismembered bits, like some sort of ghoulish high-five. There isn't enough screen to contain it all. There had to be an army of assistants that where in charge of throwing limbs, bits as well as buckets of blood.
Again, I say I am going to have violence when the story needs it, but it shouldn't be so prevalent that it is the focus because it all become self parody. Having a touching moment while killing someone at the same time, yeah, those arent the stories I am telling I guess.
Let us not even start with how this is acceptable in the US but full frontal nudity, never mind nudity at all is seen as the beginning of the end of the world.

Ah, foriegn film, my old friend how I missed you. C'mon Delicatessen, lets kick back and watch a little Amelie and talk politics with City of lost children. Maybe, Toto the hero will make popcorn for all of us while we take in Das boot. Damn, ok who invited Hardboiled? Ok I guess you can stay my blood soaked, bullet riddled friend.


John Rambo circa 1982 john rambo circa 2008

*The 1990 Guinness World Records deemed Rambo III the most violent film ever made, with 221 acts of violence, at least 70 explosions, and over 108 characters killed on-screen. However, the body count of the fourth film in the series, Rambo, surpassed that record, with 236 kills and an average of 3.2 kills per minute...Rambo holds the record with the most kills out of the entire Rambo series, with
263 kills ;[2] also the number is more than that of the previous three movies combined. Stallone justified this in a press conference by saying "the violence in the film was to underline the ongoing problems in Burma"-wikipedia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ive only seen parts of the ranbow movies the plot to the first one sounds awsome