Saturday, November 29, 2008

Redesigning

So I had to do the unthinkable today; look at my old pages and see if any were salvageable. Sadly, most were not. There was a character that is not longer left in the storyline, or has gone through a rewrite, so they all had to be scrapped.

Those pages without a character that need to be cut, or some strange story flaw (unused locations etc.) still where drawn in a style that I feel I have moved on from. I am looking for a cleaner, darker look for this story. (the art I have down on these pages does not represent that ideal.)

Setting all of this aside I feel confident I will be able to work better and faster as this time I am going to plot the pages and more importantly, I am making Model sheets. (Model sheets give examples of the characters in costume, head shots in different positions, as well as different expressions, and details like tools or gear.) Model sheets are how Disney, Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, etc have always had consistency between issues movies and scenes in their characters. Below are some examples of Model sheets by the great Alex Toth*





*Alex Toth (June 25, 1928–May 27, 2006), pronounced with a long "o," was an acclaimed professional cartoonist active from the 1940s through the 1980s. Toth's work began in the American comic book industry, but is best known for his animation designs for Hanna-Barbera throughout the 1960s and 1970s. His work included Super Friends, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, and Birdman. Toth’s work has been resurrected in the late-night, adult-themed spinoffs on Cartoon Network: Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

No comments: